Looking for a fresh and tasty dip to share with your friends and family all summer long? You’ve come to the right place. In this post, we’re sharing how you can make this crowd-pleaser appetizer known as baba ganouj! Read on to learn how you can make baba ganouj in 7 easy steps.
What is Baba Ganouj?
Baba ganouj, sometimes spelled baba ghanoush, is a dip that is made with eggplant, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. This creamy dip is a versatile Lebanese dish that can be enjoyed in many ways! Baba ganouj is similar to hummus, but instead of chickpeas, the star ingredient of this dip is eggplant.
Baba Ganouj Recipe
This tasty dish is easy to make! If you’re interested in learning how to make baba ganouj from the comfort of your home, we have the recipe for you. To make baba ganouj, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 medium-sized eggplants
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cumin (optional)
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Garnish (optional, but worth it) – make it your own! Some popular garnish options include smoked paprika, chopped parsley, and chopped tomatoes.
This recipe serves about 4-6 people, perfect for an appetizer to share with family and friends. To increase the yield, simply multiply the ingredients depending on how many people you are serving.
How To Make Baba Ganouj In 7 Easy Steps
- Place your oven rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the eggplants by halving them lengthwise. Brush the cut sides of the eggplants with olive oil and place them on the baking sheet, halved side facing down.
- Roast the eggplants in the oven for about 35-40 minutes, until the interior is tender, and the skin is caving. Remove the eggplants from the oven and place them aside to cool for about 5-10 minutes. Once cool, scoop out the interior of the eggplants with a large spoon.
- Place a mesh strainer over a mixing bowl and place your freshly scooped eggplant into the strainer. Discard any remaining skins and let the eggplant rest to remove excess moisture.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the strained eggplant along with garlic and lemon juice. Stir in the tahini and slowly add the olive oil. Stir the mixture until it is pale and creamy, breaking up any long strings of eggplant.
- Add your optional ingredients- cumin, salt, and parsley to taste.
- Transfer the baba ganouj to a serving bowl and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, parsley, and paprika on top.
How do you serve Baba Ganouj?
So, you’ve made delicious baba ganouj…now how do you serve it? Baba ganouj is often served with pita bread and crispy vegetables such as cucumber, celery, and carrots. Aside from being an awesome dip, baba ganouj can also be used as a spread on your favourite sandwich or on the side of any meal. How do you enjoy your baba ganouj?
Try It At Basha’s Shawarma
On days when you do not feel like preparing your own baba ganouj, we offer two sizes of baba ganouj for you and your family to enjoy. Our baba ganouj can be ordered on its own as an appetizer or added to any dish such as our sandwiches. At Basha’s Shawarma, we make our baba ganouj with puréed BBQ eggplant Lebanese tahini, garlic, and fresh lemon juice, topped with olive oil, chopped parsley, chopped tomatoes, and paprika. Visit our menu to view other delicious meals, appetizers, and desserts to add to your meal. When you are ready, contact us to place your order!
Note: this recipe is not Basha’s Shawarma’s official recipe for Baba Ganouj. This recipe is adapted from Cookie and Kate.