Did someone say Hummus? If you’ve tasted this delicious golden dip before, you are probably as obsessed with hummus as we are! For those wondering what Hummus is, what you eat with, or if you want to learn how to make hummus yourself, we’ve got all the answers to your questions!
We’re sharing how to make this delicious dip in 20 minutes!
What is Hummus?
Hummus is a Middle Eastern savoury dish made from chickpeas, tahini (sesame seed paste), olive oil, lemon, and garlic. Hummus is an extremely versatile dish that can be used as a spread, a dip, on the side of your favourite meal, and more. The dish can also be modified to add extra flavours and garnishes, whatever your tastebuds desire. Today, you’ll find hundreds of varieties of Hummus, including Basha’s Shawarma’s original, sundried tomato, and cumin olive hummus.
Lebanese Hummus Recipe
This healthy golden dish is easy to make! If you’re interested in learning how to make Hummus from the comfort of your home, we have the recipe for you. To make hummus, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 3 Cups Chickpeas
- 1/3 Cup Tahini
- 1 Lemon, Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1-2 Cloves of Garlic
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pinch of Salt (optional)
- Garnish (optional, but worth it) – make it your own!
- Chickpeas are the star ingredient of this dish! When preparing your chickpeas, you have the option to use dried or canned chickpeas. If you are using dried chickpeas, you will need to cook them first until they are soft. If you are using canned chickpeas, prepare them by giving them a good rinse and boiling them for a few extra minutes until they are soft.
- Remove the skin from your chickpeas.
- When blending your ingredients, add an ice cube to your mix to give your hummus a fluffier consistency.
- Use quality tahini! The best tahini will have a subtle nutty taste and a rich consistency.
4 Easy Steps to Make Homemade Hummus
- Once you’ve prepared your chickpeas to be soft and skinless, leave them to dry in a strainer and cool to room temperature.
- Using a food processor, add your chickpeas and run the processor until your chickpeas are a smooth paste consistency.
- Keep your food processor running, and add in your tahini, lemon juice, and garlic cloves. If you choose, you can also add in your pinch of salt and about 2 ice cubes. Blend these ingredients for 4-5 minutes. If the consistency is too thick, you can add a small amount of hot water and blend until you reach your desired consistency.
- Once you’ve blended your hummus to reach your desired consistency, turn off your food processer and put your hummus into a bowl or container. Cover and refrigerate your hummus for 1 hour before serving.
Serve & Enjoy Your Homemade Hummus
Your hummus is chilled and ready to serve! Put the hummus in your favourite serving dish, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil, and add your favourite garnish on top.
This versatile golden spread can be enjoyed in many ways! Cut up some pita bread (fresh or toasted), or fresh veggies to dip. You can also use it as a spread on any wrap, pita, or sandwich, add it on top of your favourite salad, or on the side of your favourite dish.
There are so many ways to enjoy Hummus, we invite you to try them all!
Try It At Basha’s Shawarma
On days when you do not feel like preparing your own hummus, we offer three delicious Lebanese-style Hummus options for you and your family to enjoy. At Basha’s Shawarma, you can choose to enjoy our Original, Sundried Tomato, or Cumin Olive hummus on its own or enjoy all three flavours with our Hummus Trio Platter. Our Hummus can be ordered as a side dish, or added to any dish like our Sandwiches! Visit our menu to view other delicious meals, appetizers, and desserts to add to your meal. When you are ready, contact us to place your order!
Disclaimer: The recipe in this blog is not the official Basha’s Shawarma recipe for Lebanese Hummus.